BETT 2014

This is the 4th time I’ve been to BETT and each time I’ve been I’ve come away absolutely ‘buzzing.’ I jotted notes down on my iPad throughout the days, so here they are with a few links added in. There was so much more than these brief notes can possibly cover and much of the time I was simple too absorbed to record anything. Loraine came with me but we wandered the hall separately and then would keep meeting up to compare notes and listen to speakers together.

Of course 2 days of the show had passed so we had missed many other great sessions but I shall check some of them out online. Gove’s opening speech is here

The 1st session we attended was Let’s get ‘appy- How the ‘app generation’ use apps to extend learning.

A superb presentation by Tim Handley and 4 of his pupils, Adam, Emily, Bayleigh and Cameron. These year 5 & 6 children spoke so eloquently about the apps they used and the slides with examples of their work were very impressive.
Here are most of the apps they mentioned-
Pic collage
Brain pop
Glow burst
Number run.
Operation math
Daydream education times tables
Motion maths
Story starters
Shake n’tell
Action movie fx
Sumo paint, be funky, pixlr
Storybuddy 2
Explain everything.
Sound cloud

Most of the apps listed were enthusiastically talked about by the children, while some were also added by Tim, but I was so engaged by their presentation that I simply jotted the list down for me to explore later.

Also mentioned were the links below
YouTube for school.

They also talked about home engagement through apps and the children were asked about which apps they choose to use at home. Apps such as Minecraft were mentioned – but the children also said that they enjoyed using the apps they used at school at home too.

Later in the afternoon I went to listen to the Ketnote speech by Randulph Fiennes – Beyond the limits.

I was just too enraptured by his talk to actually jot any notes down. But finished the session with just a sense of awe at what a person can achieve with determination and drive. A truly inspirational character, it felt a privilege to listen to his speech.

In the evening we attended the World’s largest Teachmeet.

I love teachmeets and am always inspired by what I hear. This was over 650 teachers together on a Friday evening to share their learning, experiences and inspirations.
It was impossible to take many notes, again I was just too absorbed – but the list below I will explore and expand on in  time. I’m sure there will be links to some of the talks that will appear on twitter over the next few days and I’ll add them in then.

Classtools – lots of useful tool for teachers.

amplified impact -through the use of a blog.

Mark Anderson – socrative, Edmodo, showbie, class dojo, class, NearPod, Padlet, Linoit,
Record tripping
My pop studio
Alligator algorithms

Check out these links for more from TeachMeet ( I’ll add more as I find them)

Always when I attend a Teachmeet I sign up to talk – it seems that when so many people share such brilliant ‘stuff,’ I should try and give a little back. The speakers are chosen at random and this time there were more speakers than the time allowed so I never got to share my stuff  – but here’s the link to the bit I was going to use on the screen and I was going to talk about the fact that in this world of exciting technology we mustn’t forget the importance of building relationships and the simple things which mean so much – like a welcoming smile.

Time at the end of a long day to eat, drink, relax and have a good natter with Loraine. SO good to have a friend to share thoughts of the days with.

Saturday – back again for more inspiration!

Went to a session on BYOD to school  by Drew Buddie. @digitalmaverick

A really informative session and the offer of more information which Drew will email on.

Notes jotted in session below –
Scoop it – app    Integrate this with twitter

horizon report 2012 k-12 report  MNC
Shows you what they think is going to be important in schools.
Whole host of rational behind why  device use is important

Kobe Catholice College – Australia
1st school in the world to have mobile 1:1 devices.

School reputation is everything – and on rotten apple can spoil it- so it needs careful planning and monitoring.

V strong e safety policy.

When not being used- ‘apples up’ they kee p it on the desk but with the ‘apple’ up.
Diversity of technology –
Microsoft devices can decide to update, apple you have control of when you want to update.
You would need to be planning ahead and letting children know that the apps they would be using.
Can you insist on iPads?
Explain everything – nothing as good on tablets other than iPads.
Good lighting in an area of the classroom for taking photographs of children work. Use a black paper behind or use a scanning app.

Cramlington  learning village  – fantastic examples of using technology.

Biggest nightmare can be wifi – never under estimate the importance of a really strong wifi.
All staff iPads must have passwords on their devices and it must be in the policy.
Robust E- safety policy essential for BYOD

Mixed devices is a problem.
List the functionality of the apps you need and will use in class.

The final session I attended was-
The Great Education Debate – Can technology ever replace the classroom?

Again it was time for listening rather than note taking, the panel discussing the subject were really engaging and I know that they will post about their ideas on their websites.

Tim Rylands – check out his site for a good summary of the debate. 

Futurologist – Anne-Lisa Kjaer (Kjaer Global) – check out this link for an interesting insight into the key trends that will influence education.

Maggie Philbin
Tech should make individual learning possible.
Uk digital skills taskforce – goes live next week & will be seeking to find out about how technology is used.

Best teaching  doesn’t always use technology.
Lots of technology doesn’t necessary mean its good teaching.
It’s about how it’s used.
Deep human connection.

Beyond the presentations there is of course a huge hall of exciting products and companies to visit and I wandered up and down the aisles until my feet ached. It was amazing to see the 3D printers churning out some intriguing objects, but I didn’t even stop to enquire about the cost of them!
All sorts of projectors and IWBs –  projectors that beam the image onto the floor as an interactive mat, tables that acted as huge screens and all kinds of tablets and storage devices. So much ‘stuff’ that you imagine that some schools must have won the lottery or something!

My top three stands 

•  Mathletics / 3P learning – no surprise there! Spoke with Jane Warburton the CEO in UK and Tim Powers the CEO from Australia – it was like meeting Mathletics royalty. As always they are right on the ball and their Maths Curriculum is upgrading to reflect the 2014 curriculum.
  • LEGO– again no surprise! Loved their new story writing sets for KS1 If I had the purse strings I would definitely invest in this – but I can feel a visit to the LEGO shop coming on and I shall have to devise my own version! National Schools Partnership has produced an excellent resource for story writing based on the new LEGO movie which is being released over half term. We were planning to use these resources in class and seeing the LEGO store has just added to my enthusiasm
  • 2Simple/ Purple Mash I’ve missed not having Purple Mash SO much- but now I’ve seen the advances that have been made to it in the last couple of years and it is more awesome than ever! It gives children a complete package of creative tools which would enhance every area of the curriculum. All their work is saved on the cloud so children can work on their work at home and at school. Most of it is ipad compatible and there is a coding program that would take children on a progressive journey from Yr 1 through to 6. Teachers can now leave feedback online for the children.                                       All in all it is just a truly amazing product…  I SO want at least a 30day trial of Purple Mash and I would lead a staff meeting on it, while we book a session for the Purple Mash expert to come in when there’s a space in his diary.

2 inspiring days and now I need to look at lots of the links, try out new apps and reflect on what I’ve learned….. and visit the LEGO store today!