Education Innovation Show. #EICE

Last year this show was on for 3 days, but this year it was condensed into 2 days, but I was lucky enough to be allowed out of school to attend on Friday. It’s very different to BETT, much smaller but the seminars that I listened too made the journey to Manchester well worth it. The show is less busy and the less hectic atmosphere gave me time to reflect on my practise.

Here’s a brief synopsis of my day.
10.20-10.50 – Whose Curriculum is it anyway?

This was a presentation about the new computing curriculum. Basically the message seems much the same as what I have found when I’ve looked at the Maths. It gives scope and flexibility, it is less prescriptive but it does drive us to have higher expectations. It sets out the objectives – but without the structures. Never having learned anything about computers or ICT when I was at school (Maths with a slide rule!) it’s a steep learning curve to be tackled, but a challenging and exciting one.
The changes in terminology make somethings sound more complicated than they really are, for example using Bee Bots is an example of algorithms. (I had to leave this seminar before the end, to get to the next one!)

10.40 -11.10 – Latest Technology Enhancing Learning.
Mat Walker (NFER),Paul Hynes (SSAT),and Professor Richard Noss. (IoE)

With 3 speakers in 30 minutes, my notes are sketchy! But I know it was good stuff and I will google the presenters.

Paul Hynes spoke of his experience at George Spencer Academy where their pupils bring their own devices to school. he shared with us the pros and the cons and gave great food for thought. His students bring any device, they have an open wifi and his teachers have control of when the devices are used and the pupils respect this. A good piece of advise was to conduct a survey to get a clear understanding of what devices the pupils actually have and might bring into school.

http://www.yots.org.uk

He talked about how focusing on Apps can be limiting as not all pupils will be able to use them on their devices – look for websites that do the same or similar things.

Matt Walker from NFER gave us a whistle stop tour through some of his research. He discussed the Games Based Learning report which shows an increased level of confidence, motivation and engagement and also helped to develop skills for problem solving. However the evidence was mixed in terms of impact on attainment.

Following these 2 talks I wandered round the stands, obviously taking time to enjoy the LEGO education stand and the 2Simple stand! (My personal favourites) I gathered a good selection of freebies, pens, highlighters and more impressively  , a clock, rubrics cube and best of all a small bag of LEGO, complete with a few witches hats, cats, spiders and people! A quick stop for refreshments and back to seminars.

1.00 – 1.30 An audience with the world. ‘Deputy’ David Mitchell.

I’ve listened to David Mitchell talk on several occasions, so I sought of know the rhetoric, but still it inspires me. He speaks with such passion that I always come away wanting to do more with my blog and to learn more. His point about getting an audience is hard, is very true, and yet it is the belief that there will be an  audience that makes blogging so powerful in inspiring children to write.

With the hype around the Tour de France, I had missed the fact that the World Cup is on this year, and was really interested in the way he had used this in his blogging.

So this morning, fired up, reinvigorated and inspired – I’ve put a QR code on our class blog and I’ve set up a class Twitter account! @2F-FFPS ! Thank, David 🙂

Following this I found a seminar that I hadn’t even spotted in the guide!

iPad inspired – with Craig Rulton, an Apple Educator from JTRS. (Journey to realise solutions)

This was a real whistle stop tour through some brilliant APPs – even those that I knew about, he showed in different ways. He talked briefly about the work of Rubens R Puentedura, and a quick search this morning points to some very interesting reading to be done – also around TPACK, which he skimmed over.

Here are quick bullet points from his talk – each one really deserves some time spent on looking at the idea / APP in more depth, everything that Craig showed was inspiring and he could talk about how it actually worked in a class environment.

• Quixey – a search engine for finding APPs by functionality.
  • Paint a wall green for a green screen area – simple, but awesome idea. Use Greenscreen Movie Effects (iPhone) app
  • Book creator – I’ve used it, but again it was modelled by an expert!
  • Explain Everything – I have it and haven’t used it – now I must!
  • Tellagami – what an awesome APP – downloaded it and ready to play now!
  • ImotionHD – APP for time lapse pictures.
  • Puppet pals – we have this – I must use it!
  • Make Dice – editable dice – so many ways to use this.
  • Decidenow – a spinning wheel to edit.

After the seminar I visited the jtrs stand. They will come and lead a staff meeting for 1 hour for FREE!

On their stand I watched a demonstration of

• Nearpod – children sign in and you can share a session.
  • Slice – free video editing – simpler than iMovie. (apparently)

I finished the day of with a final seminar by Russell Prue.

3.15 -3.45 Survival PLan for educators wanting to use the latest Tech in teaching.

This final keynote speech was by Russell Prue, I was so engaged I could hardly jot anything down, but brilliantly he told the audience he was going to share the presentation, so I just relaxed, listened and was inspired.

Here is a link to his presentation at http://www.andertontiger.com

It was a brilliant talk to listen to at the end of what was a throughly enjoyable and inspiring day.

Definitely worth putting EICE in the diary for next year and hopefully the number of stands will grown, but for now, the speakers alone make it worth going to. Many thanks to all involved. 🙂